Thursday, July 19, 2007

Why I am Glad I Sat at the TS Table

On Monday, July 16, from 1-2 pm, I minded the TS Table in the Activities area of the Exhibit Hall. It was immensely rewarding, because I had the opportunity to converse with Jose-Marie Griffiths, Chair of the Library of Congress Working Group on the Future of Bibliographic Control, Dean and Professor, SILS, at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill--and VIP for SEAALL (Southeast Chapter of AALL). Dean Griffiths is a most enjoyable conversationalist. It was really interesting to learn that she had been a vice president in the private sector before she came to academia. Her private sector experience gave her a very good foundation for administration. At about this point in our conversation, Penny Bailey, the Managing Director of Bailey Solutions LTD in the UK dropped by the table and explained how she had developed a library system since she couldn't find what she needed on the market (http://www.baileysolutions.co.uk/) . Dean Griffiths, as it turns out, is very supportive of librarians as entrepreneurs.

Quite a few people dropped by the table during my stint there. One of them was a former UR Law librarian whom I hadn't seen for a couple of years. I wish I had written everyone's name down. Dean Griffiths greated all of them most cordially when I introduced them.

Table sitting can be enormously gratifying. It certainly was for me and I am so glad volunteered!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment