Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Proposal to make the TS-SIS Ad Hoc Membership Committee a permanent Administrative Committee

The TS-SIS Executive Board proposes that the current Ad Hoc Membership Committee be made into a permanent Administrative Committee. This issue will be voted on at the TS-SIS business meeting in St. Louis.

The proposal for this committee is as follows:

Membership Committee

The Membership Committee is appointed annually (August-July) to facilitate member recruitment, retention and involvement. The committee chair is appointed by the TS-SIS Chair soon after taking office. The committee chair appoints at least four other members. Committee members may be reappointed for more than one year.

The chair:

* Assigns a committee member to obtain a list of new section members and to send out welcome packets to them. Each packet should include a cover letter, a TS-SIS brochure and a volunteer form.
* Assigns committee members to contact technical services librarians who are members of AALL, but not of TS-SIS, and encourage them to join the section
* Prepares the volunteer request form and sends it to the webmaster to be posted on the TS-SIS website by February 1. Sends out an announcement on the online discussion forum ( encouraging members to volunteer by completing and submitting the form on the website. Forward copies of submitted volunteer forms to the appropriate committee chairs and/or officers.
* Assists the TS-SIS Chair in answering inquiries about membership in the section.
* Maintains the section's supply of TS-SIS brochures.
* With assistance from the TS-SIS Chair, revises and updates the TS-SIS brochure as deemed appropriate by the Executive Board.
* Represents TS-SIS at the CONELL Marketplace.
* Serves as liaison to the AALL Mentorship Project. Assign a committee member to solicit TS-SIS members as mentors and mentees in the AALL Mentorship Project.
* Signs up to spend at least 1 hour at the TS-SIS table in the exhibit hall at the annual meeting, and asks committee members who are attending the meeting to do likewise
* Submits an article to TSLL at least once a year.
* Reports briefly on the committee's activities at the TS-SIS business meeting.
* Submits a written report to the TS-SIS Chair detailing the committee's activities by July 1.

This announcement is being made in accordance with Article IX, Section 2 of the TS-SIS bylaws, which states:

"Administrative committees may be authorized by a majority vote of the members present and voting at the annual Section business meeting, or by a majority vote of the members in an electronic ballot conducted by the Secretary/Treasurer. Such authorization requires that a proposal stating the name and purpose of the administrative committee be presented to the membership at least thirty (30) days before a vote."

Chris Long
Catalog Librarian
Ruth Lilly Law Library
Indiana University School of Law--Indianapolis
530 W. New York St.
Indianapolis, IN 46202
Phone: 317-274-1930 | Fax: 317-274-8825
Email: clong[AT]

ILUG meeting at AALL -- reminder

Dear ILUGers,

Our meeting in St. Louis is just few days away. It's still not too late to register and go for that great Italian lunch. Just please let Phyllis Post know (ppost[AT] today or tomorrow at the latest, and pay at the door. Think spumoni, chocolate fudge cake ...

Tom Baker.

Innovative Law Users Group

Annual Meeting

Renaissance Grand Hotel

St. Louis, Missouri

July 8, 2006

Agenda (Final, as of June 20, 2006)

8:30 – 9:00 a.m.

Registration and breakfast*

9:00 – 9:30 a.m.

Business meeting: Treasurer’s Report; Resolution of Deadlocked Election; an item from Katrina Piechnik

9:30 – 9:45 a.m.

III company presentation #1 – State of the Company – Sandy Westall (Innovative Interfaces, Inc.)

9:45 – 10:15 a.m.

III company presentation #2 – AccessLaw: Resource Sharing Expands among Law Libraries – Sandy Westall

10:15 – 10:30 a.m.


10:30 – 11:30 a.m.

ILUG member presentation #1 – Preparing ABA Statistics with Millennium – Mary Strouse (Catholic University of America), Patricia Callahan (University of Pennsylvania), Jim Mumm (Marquette University)

11:30 – 12:00 noon

ILUG member presentation #2 – Disaster Recovery – Elizabeth Moore (Loyola University of New Orleans)

12:00 – 1:30 p.m.

Lunch (advance registration required) – at Charlie Gitto’s Downtown, an Italian restaurant with echoes of the Cardinals.

1:30 – 2:30 p.m.

Joint III/ILUG discussion: State of Millennium – Tom Baker (Columbia Law School), Georgia Briscoe (University of Colorado), Mary Jane Kelsey (Yale University), Sandy Westall

2:30 – 2:45 p.m.


2:45 – 3:45 p.m.

III company presentation #3 – WebPAC Pro – Dinah Sanders (Innovative Interfaces, Inc.)

3:45 – 4:15 p.m.

discussion groups + w/ ABA-statistics table

4:15 – 4:45 p.m.

discussion groups, second set, + presentation at the podium from YBP: Integrating with III to Streamline Workflows for Libraries (Jean Eaglesfield, Manager, Collection Management and Development Group, and Michael Walmsley, New Business Development Manager (Midwest) (YBP)

* - Breakfast and breaks provided courtesy of Innovative Interfaces, Inc.

As you can see, we got Dinah Sanders to come and talk to us about WebPAC Pro. At Sandy Westall’s suggestion we have allotted an entire hour for this presentation.

YBP wanted to do a presentation on how their products work with the III system to streamline workflows. As the presentation slots were filled, I suggested that they do a presentation for those who are specially interested during the second discussion group session, as the podium will not be being used at that point.

The most-asked for item in the member surveys was statistics. Mary Strouse, Pat Callahan and Jim Mumm will do a presentation on using Millennium to prepare ABA statistics, which will very helpful to us.

Last October I asked Elizabeth Moore if she would be willing to keep notes and talk to us about recovering from the very real disaster which enveloped New Orleans. I’m happy she said ‘yes’.

It was an idea of mine that it was time for a discussion, hopefully with III, on where we all are with the Millennium software. Sometimes (even-numbered midnight hours :-) I think this discussion should be entitled Bells & Whistles v. Basic Bedrock. Sometimes (odd-numbered midnight hours) I think it should be entitled Darwin v. The Deckchairs. How has Millennium worked in your institution? What has it helped? What problems has it raised? Where does the Innovative system fit into the IT environment of your institution? Have you been using Innovative software since the text-based days? Or did you start out with Innovative as a user of Millennium? From the standpoint of you and your institution, where do you see library system software heading? Are there any implications for the overall business model? I’m very grateful to Georgia Briscoe and to Mary Jane Kelsey for helping lead what I hope will be an interesting and fruitful evaluation. I’m happy to report that Martin Wisneski has set up an ILUG bulletin board for us to use in gathering our thoughts on these issues, and he can open a branch for your topic of interest if you like. The URL is . The first time you go to the site, you must register. This gives us a way of keeping the spammers out. Please join the ILUG bulletin board, come to the meeting in St. Louis, and share your thoughts with your colleagues, whether you are a “Darwinist” or a “Believer in Bedrock”.


Please join the non-academic technical services librarians for an open-forum catharsis session on Tuesday, July 11th, 5:15-6:15 PM, in the America’s Center Room 266.

Discussion is expected to be lively with moderator and Group Chair, Joni Cassidy of Cassidy Cataloguing and speakers Ralph Monaco, Librarian and Executive Director of the New York Law Institute, Elaine Egan, Director of Library Services at Epstein, Becker & Green (NY), Doris A. Dingley, Director of Library & Research Services at Lindquist & Vennum (Minneapolis) and Donna Rosinski-Kauz of Cassidy Cataloguing.

The speakers will talk briefly about software upgrades and migrations in their libraries, how to smooth the path for staff and user transition while minimizing the incidents of violent behavior (just kidding). Donna will offer suggestions on how to interview vendors. After their comments, the discussion will be opened to the audience for the remainder of the hour. Bring your questions and advice and join the fun!

Monday, June 26, 2006

Looking for Bloggers for 2006!

We're now looking for bloggers for the 2006 AALL annual convention, soon to be held in Saint Louis, MO. Post a message in the comments, or drop me a line at ctarr[AT] if you're interested.

Thanks --

Chris Tarr